Penn State’s faculty in Applied Linguistics are leading scholars in our multi-disciplinary field, publishing books on Sociocultural Theory, corpus linguistics, cognitive linguistics, language teaching and learning, discourse, dementia, and study abroad. We teach undergraduate and graduate courses that link cutting edge theory with language teaching and language analysis and provide our students with rigorous, hands-on experience in L2 teaching, learning, and assessment. Our programs, which now include on-line coursework, attract top students from the U.S. and around the world who are interested in and passionate about the teaching and learning of English and other languages. Our students also conduct language-based research on dementia and aging, identity, gestures, and study abroad.
While the State of Pennsylvania, the university, and college provide support for our faculty and students, we also rely on private contributions that enable us to expand the undergraduate and graduate experiences of our students by:
- Inviting guest speakers in applied linguistics, psychology, anthropology, and linguistics to share their research and interact with our students on a more personal level.
- Providing state-of-the art technology for language teaching and research.
- Funding graduate student travel to conferences and other professional meetings.
- Enabling graduate and undergraduate students to participate in hands-on research projects with our faculty.
- Supporting volunteer community service activities by our students in literacy programs throughout Centre County.
To make a tax-deductible gift to the program, please visit the Giving to Penn State website. This will direct you to Penn State's centralized secure server. In order to ensure that your gift is received by our Department, the words Department of Applied Linguistics must be typed into the box designated Additional Information, under the heading "Designation of Gift."
All on-line donations will be dedicated entirely to graduate student (MA and Ph.D.) funding.
Your gifts have made a tremendous difference to our graduate students. Thank you.
For further questions about giving to Penn State’s Department of Applied Linguistics, please contact:
The College of the Liberal Arts Alumni Relations and Development
The Pennsylvania State University
138 Sparks Building
University Park, PA 16802-5200