- Ph.D., Romance Linguistics, Cornell University
- M.A., Romance Linguistics, Cornell University
- B.A., Linguistics, Scripps College
Areas of Specialization
- Second Language Culture and Pragmatics
- Intercultural Communication
- Language Teacher Education
- Language and Identity
- Language Ideologies
- French Sociolinguistics
- Advanced French Conversation
- Intermediate French Grammar and Composition
- Foreign Language Teaching Methods
Golombek, P. & Doran, M. (2014). Unifying cognition, emotion, and activity in language teacher professional development. Teaching and Teacher Education, 39, 102-111.
Doran, M. (2007). Alternative French, alternative identities: Situating language in la Banlieue. Contemporary French & Francophone Studies (Sites), 11, 497-508.
Doran, M. (2004). Negotiating between Bourge and Racaille: ‘Verlan’ as youth identity practice in suburban Paris. In A. Pavlenko & A. Blackledge (Eds.), Negotiation of identities in multilingual contexts (pp. 93-124). Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters.
Professional Awards and Achievements
American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC), Graduate Faculty Affairs Poster Presentation 'Best in Class' Award (2016)
AAUW Dissertation Fellowship
Clark Distinguished Teaching Award
Phi Beta Kappa