- Ph.D., Romance Linguistics, Cornell University
- M.A., Romance Linguistics, Cornell University
- B.A., Linguistics, Scripps College
Areas of Specialization
- Language for Specific Purposes
- Second Language Pedagogy
- Language Teacher Education
- Language & Identity
- Power, Politics, and Language Ideologies
- French Sociolinguistics
- Advanced Oral Communication in French
- French Grammar & Composition
- French Speaking & Reading
- Second Language Teaching Methods
Douglas Fir Group. (2016). A transdisciplinary framework for SLA in a multilingual world. Modern Language Journal, 100 (S1), 19-47.
Golombek, P. & Doran, M. (2014). Unifying cognition, emotion, and activity in language teacher professional development. Teaching and Teacher Education, 39, 102-111.
Doran, M. (2007). Alternative French, alternative identities: Situating language in la Banlieue. Contemporary French & Francophone Studies (Sites), 11, 497-508.
Doran, M. (2004). Negotiating between Bourge and Racaille: ‘Verlan’ as youth identity practice in suburban Paris. In A. Pavlenko & A. Blackledge (Eds.), Negotiation of identities in multilingual contexts (pp. 93-124). Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters.
Professional Awards and Achievements
- American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC), Graduate Faculty Affairs Poster Presentation 'Best in Class' Award (2016)
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) Dissertation Fellowship
- Clark Distinguished Teaching Award, Cornell University
- Sage Graduate Fellowship, Cornell University
- Phi Beta Kappa, Scripps College
- Padelford French Award, Scripps College
- Cervantes Prize (Spanish Government Award)
- Sigma Delta Pi (Hispanic Honor Society)